QuickBooks POS: Add An Item, Product, or Service
Adding Items, Products, or Services to QuickBooks POS
Use this procedure to add a new item to your inventory. You can also read specific procedures for adding non-inventory, assembly, group, style or service items.
Your ability to perform this task may be limited by security rights.
You can add a new item while making a sale or creating another document.
To add a new inventory item:
*Indicates a required field.
- Open your item list, and then click Add from the window toolbar.
A new item form is opened
- Enter the *Item Name. This is the short item description that is printed on sales receipts. The field label can be customized.
- Navigate through the sections and fields of the item form, entering information as appropriate . Following are descriptions of the most commonly used fields in each section. More detailed explanation are located in the item fields topic.
- *Item Type: Leave set to Inventory. If you wish to add a different item type, click a link for specific instructions: non-inventory, assembly, group, style or service items.
- *Department: Select the department to which the item belongs from the drop-down list.
- Item/Description 2: Secondary, long description field used to record additional information. This field label can be customized to meet your needs.
- Size: Enter the size for the item (if applicable). If using abbreviations, try to be consistent, e.g., Sm, Md. and Lg for example. Consistent entries will make filtering and finding items in inventory and on reports easier. This field can also be used to describe a second item attribute other than size if desired. This field label can be customized.
- (Pro) To add a line of related items differing only by size/attribute, click the Style button to enter the size and attribute combinations.
- Attribute: Use to describe an item characteristic, such as the color, pattern, material, or a second size. This field label can be customized
- Reg Price: Enter your regular sale price or leave blank and let Point of Sale use a department pricing formula to calculate it for you.
- — — — Click the Pricing button for additional price fields
- Avg Unit Cost: Enter a value if this is an existing item in your store on program startup or if you know the cost for a newly ordered item. If you leave this field blank, Point of Sale will auto-fill it with the cost when the item is received on a receiving voucher and maintain it by averaging the item cost over time.
- On-Hand Qty: Enter a value if this is an existing inventory item in your store on program startup. If you are defining a new item that you will be ordering, leave this field blank for now and Point of Sale will auto-fill it when you receive the item on a receiving voucher.
- — — — (Multi-Store HQ) Click the Available button to enter existing on-hand quantities at other stores.
- Tax: Review the tax field and select a tax code if necessary. If you defined a default tax code in the associated department record it will be suggested for the item.
- UPC: Scan or type the UPC code.
- Quick Pick Group: If you’ve defined Quick Pick Groups in your inventory preferences, you can assign an item to one of those groups to use with the Quick Pick Item feature on sales receipts and receiving vouchers.
- Vendor: Select the primary vendor from which you order this item. (Pro) Click the Alt Vend button to add alternate vendors and their order costs.
- Order Cost: Enter an order cost, if known, for your primary vendor. This is what you currently pay your vendor for one unit of the item.
- Reorder Point: Enter a quantity if you want Point of Sale to remind you when it is time to order more of the item.
- — — — (Multi-Store HQ) Click the View All button to enter/view reorder points for each store individually.
- *Item Number: Suggested by the system, but can be edited.
- Alternate Lookup: Enter an alternate lookup value that can be used to quickly add the item to documents.
- Base Unit: When using multiple units of measure, the smallest quantity by which an item is sold or purchased.
- — — — (Pro) Click the Units button to add additional units of measure
- Manufacturer: Enter the item manufacturer. This name can be used to search for an item or to filter reports.
- Use this free-form text Comments field to enter any pertinent item information not covered by another item field.
Misc and Shipping
- Print Tags — Select to include this item when printing tags. For items that you do not tag, clear the check box. This will help prevent inadvertently printing the tags when the item is included on a document or in a list for which you are printing tags.
- Add to Mobile — Select to include this item to display on your mobile device.
- Unorderable — select to have the item’s reorder point temporarily ignored and alerted if the item is added to a purchase order or receiving voucher. This option can be used to remove seasonal or discontinued merchandise from your reorder reminders and reports.
- Use Serial # — (Pro) Select to be prompted to enter serial numbers when this item is listed on a document.
- Earn Commission — (Pro) Select to include sales of this item when calculating commissions for your associates.
- Shipping Weight, Height, Length, Width — (Pro) Enter shipping specifications to use when shipping the item.
QuickBooks Desktop Options
Define QuickBooks Item Account Information
- Available only if integrated with QuickBooks financial software. You can customize the way item transactions are sent to QuickBooks by specifying QuickBooks accounts here.
- By default, the item accounts are auto-filled using the default item accounts specified in company preferences, but you can change them on an item basis on this window.
5. To add the item to your Mobile device, click the Sync to Mobile box in the Misc and Shipping section.
Click the Mobile box next to the Item # on the Item List.
6. Click Save.
Originally published at BlackRock.